If you are getting frustrated by the extra steps necessary to unlock your iPhone while wearing a mask you might like to try this trick that means you can set up Face ID to recognise you even if your face is covered.
How to set iPhone to unlock with a mask on
Here we will share the trick that will allow you to set up facial recognition on your iPhone so that it recognises you even with your face half covered by a mask. Before we run through the steps please note that we had to try this several times until we were able to set up reliable face recognition, but it is possible.
- Fold your face mask in the middle and attach the two eyelets to the ear, hold the mask with one hand in your face so that it covers it exactly in the middle.
- On your iPhone go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode enter your passcode.
- Select the Set Up an Alternative Appearance option. (If you have already set up an alternative appearance you won’t have this option. You will need to reset your Face ID and set it up again.)
- You will be invited to set up Face ID. You may see a warning that your face is covered, but in our experience after a couple of tries this message will disappear.
- Follow the steps on screen to allow the True Depth camera to take its measurements and the circle appears guiding you to rotate your face in a circle.
- Wait while it takes the first scan of your face.
- Before the True Depth camera starts its second scans remove the mask and cover the other side of your face.
- Once the second scan is completed you should be able to unlock your iPhone while wearing a face mask.
If you require a mask, why not support a local Birmingham company 11Faced who provide some excellent masks and the ability to make your own custom one.
Keeping Up to Date with all things Apple